The Pillboxes of Camp White (Oregon) 03-Jan-2019

During World War II, Camp George A. White, situated just north of Medford, Oregon, served as the training center for the U.S. Army’s 91st and 96th Infantry Divisions.  At its height, Camp White held 40,000 soldiers and was the second largest city in Oregon.  In 1946, the Army dismantled the camp and sold all its property to local residents.  When the camp was active, the Beagle Range, on the east and north sides of Upper Table Rock, was used to conduct live-fire exercises on the manning and capturing of concrete pillboxes. The ones here were designed to roughly simulate German coastal fortifications in Europe (think D-Day).  Remnants of 25 of these pillboxes are clustered south and west of the intersection of Highway 234 and Antioch Road.  Fourteen are on land acquired by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in 2009 (the Table Rock Management Area) and eleven are located on private lands inside or adjacent to the management area.  The pillboxes generally measure 20 by 30 feet and are clearly visible on aerial imagery.

Continue reading “The Pillboxes of Camp White (Oregon) 03-Jan-2019”